Monday, March 8, 2010

Obviously my belongings have sex when I'm sleeping...

Because the more I get rid of the more I seem to have.

I have a LOT of stuff. I used to be a saver. Grandma was a pack-rat and so is my Dad. So I've tried not to save too much. But I do. Not "Hoarders" or even close but there is just a lot of things involved with having 3 kids.

I have given away or sold a TON of stuff. When we moved here I gave about 7 Rubbermaid bins of clothes to a local service agency for refugee families and their kids. This was 7 bins of kids clothes, boys, up to about size 6. I buy a lot of clothes for my kids... I don't do that anymore.

I've given to The Salvation Army, neighbors, co-workers of my ex, Goodwill, friends, FreeCycle, total strangers. I've sold at consignment shops, eBay, on Craigslist and yard sales. A friend purchased a bunch of things from me. Yet I still have too many things. I sent a bunch of stuff with my husband when we split up.

Books, gave away hundreds to various people and places. Now I only save a few. Magazines, I drop at the library when I'm done.

I think I'm doing OK but....

My family recently sold my Grandmother's house. She had a lot of Christmas decorations. My parents no longer go crazy decorating for Christmas. They had a lot of decorations. My sister converted to Judaism about 25 years ago. She had a lot of Christmas ornaments. Guess where they all are? Yeah. You got it. I, literally, have enough ornaments for about 4 trees. And most of them mean a so much. The ones from my Grandparent's are easily 60+ years old, the ones from my parents are full of memories. My ex and I never went out and bought a box of generic ornaments. Everything has a story. He took some this year for his tree but wants to return them. I've given a few away to friends. I'll put away a bunch for my kids (who I've already started purchasing an ornament for each year that they'll get when they have their own place.) My nephew (the reason my sister converted) shows no signs of getting married. I've told him when he does she can't be Jewish; I simply have too many ornaments. He finds that funny.

Thank God I'm organized because it could get ugly very quickly. I've worked really hard to overcome my "I have to save this" forever tendencies. I've recently become enamored of people who live in small houses with very little "stuff". I'm working my way towards that. Slowly. I finally realized that most of the things I have I don't want. So big, huge yard sale this spring. Get rid of things, make some money, all good. Now I just have to stop things from coming into my house. And teach my belongings safe sex...

3 comments:

  1. I'm so totally the opposite. I save almost nothing, but I'm trying to save a few things for my daughter. While I usually don't associate strong feelings for "things" she might want to see pieces of her past in person (rather than pictures like I have to settle for).

    I think it's great that you're saving things specifically for your children. I hope they appreciate it when they're old enough to receive these amazing gifts from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sort of the story of stuff in America, eh? Thanks for the note about bunny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally feel your pain! Love the title!

    www.MySkinConicerge.Blogspot.com

    Ava

    ReplyDelete